WSI Digital marketing copywriter, Ohimai Ojeikere, gives you a better understanding of SEO copywriting on how you can capitalize on buyer intent through the keyword-optimized website content.
Read on to gain insight into the inner workings of search engines’ algorithms and how to tailor your content to meet these algorithms’ demands and how simple, overlooked writing principles can improve your clickthrough rate and, over time, your domain and page authority.
In today’s advertising environment, video and audio are the main players when it comes to attention-grabbing advertising content. So, some people ask themselves, is copywriting still viable?
At WSI, we say copywriting is one of the most pervasive means of advertising around, and it’s not going anywhere. In fact, it is one of the most important disciplines in marketing.
What is SEO copywriting?
SEO copywriting is the marriage of two very cerebral marketing processes. We have the SEO and then we have the copywriting. SEO concerns itself with key words and the terms that we put into search engines to find what we’re looking for. SEO’s job is to get into the head of a consumer and to find out exactly what it is that people type into that search bar when they’re looking for something.
Copywriting is a science. It’s written salesmanship. You are figuring out how to put your words together to elicit the right kind of reaction from your consumers. Are you able to communicate their fears about a product? Will their order come in on time? Is it fully functional? Is it sturdy? Do I need to pay for assembly? For instance, “I want this pair of basketball sneakers. So, you ask yourself, “Is the traction as good as they should be. Is the cushioning very good?” Let’s apply this to a pair of loafers. Are they patent leather or real leather? Is it crocodile leather? What color are they? While asking these questions, never forget the customers’ deepest desires.
We have to be able to drill down these desires and how they drive people to buy your product? What benefit does your product give people? When you are able to understand all three of those things: the fears, the thoughts, and desires, you are able to address them.
And all of a sudden, it’s that much easier to drive conversions. You’re speaking to your consumer and not just at them. When you’re saying all the things you’re supposed to say, sales become a lot easier to make. Supposed to say, sales become a lot easier to make.
- What’s the secret to SEO copywriting? It is research – copious amounts of research. In fact, on top of the research, there is a lot of trial and error. What works for one client or one product might not necessarily work for another. In some cases, you might want to go all in and get a highly competitive short-tail keyword – other times, you won’t.
- Keyword research precedes all SEO copywriting. When you are about to write any kind of SEO content, you can’t put the cart before the horse, you have to find out the keywords that your consumers use in their searches. They could be short-tail keywords, long-tail keywords, question phrases. It could be anything. You must understand that the right keyword is the difference between thousands of people sharing your article and nobody reading your article at all. We need to adequately research its demand and how our target consumers interact with this keyword.The norm is to go to tools like Google Ads, Google Keyword Planner and SEMRush, but you have to approach keyword research from a completely different angle sometimes.
Sources of keywords for conversion in SEO copywriting
There are five different sources through which you can get the high-conversion keywords. First of all: customer reviews, complaints on social media. You can get a little bit of insight into benefits, shortcomings, especially the shortcomings. That’s what the person is making known to you from the jump. Q&A tools are quite intriguing, competitor keywords are spicy, and then we have topics, suggestion tools.
- When you’re able to do keyword research, look at your own product and then look at your competitors’ products. You’ll be able to ascertain what the benefits and drawbacks of that product are. Once you see the discrepancies, quickly incorporate them into your copy.
- When you’re choosing customer reviews, there’s good customer reviews and there’s bad customer reviews. When you are picking your customer reviews, you need to look for the thorough, comprehensive reviews. Prioritize the ones with more than 30 words in it. It will sweet you to hear good things all the time, but you need to hear balanced feedback. It’s absolutely necessary that you hear balanced feedback on your product. Then you are able to speak to any drawbacks, any negatives, and you are able to address them in your copy.
- competitor keyword research: The term “all is fair and love and SEO”. You can steal keywords. It’s very easy to do so if you have a superior domain authority, and as you can see there, a site’s domain authority is as calculated by Moss or the site’s domain authority it’s the likelihood of that site ranking on a search engine. If you have a higher domain authority than your competitor and they’re ranking for a certain keyword is very easy to steal. You can start writing content that uses that keyword as the focus keyword, and then you can start nurturing it organically in a few months to a year. If you don’t have the domain authority to punch with the big dogs, more than likely what it is you want to do is you want to find the long tail keywords from like Q&A tools that are not as competitive. And you want to leverage them to progress your domain authority, to progress your search engine page ranking. Use a keyword search tool like CRM to find out your competitors, long tail keywords.
The key to marketing is creating significance. To create significance, you have to capture the minds and the hearts of your audience. The headline is the very first thing that can do that. This is your foot in the door. This is your golden opportunity to grab your audience’s attention, you need to make it count. The focus keyword – the keyword you are optimizing for – must appear in your headline.
Tips for SEO copywriting to use up in your headline
- Be ultra-specific and leave as little to the imagination as humanly possible: Specificity can only help your conversion rate because oftentimes, like I say, your reader is in a hurry and you’ve got to give them everything they need in an instant. Always give details; it’s the best thing you can do to be an empathetic marketer.
The next thing is adding statistics to your headline. It is absolutely, positively imperative that you do. And you don’t want to use just any numbers. In fact, with SEO copywriting, you want to use crooked numbers and what are crooked numbers? Crooked numbers are numbers that aren’t all the way round it up. So if we were giving somebody a 58% return on their interest, we wouldn’t round it up to 60. Although we’d gain an extra 2%, it helps your credibility to use a crooked number, because all of a sudden it makes your research look more granular.
- Be emotional appealing: When you are selling a product, you will have to use a certain measure of emotion. You need to have very strong emotional appeals and touch upon pertinent subject matter that pulls on your customers’ heartstrings. As small business owners, you are trying to write more engaging marketing copy, so don’t be afraid of more emotionally charged word choice.
Don’t be afraid to use a “crazy” or a “wild” or a “brand new”. It’s what you need to stand out. Uniqueness is one of SEO copywriting’s biggest merits. If you are able to come at your consumer from a unique perspective, you’ll grab their attention and then you can drill down into the interests, desires and drive your conversion.However, you want to make sure that you don’t overdo it with the emotional appeals, because if you do overdo it, you can lose your credibility.
So, how does one know if they’ve written an emotive headline? You’ll have to test it. As marketing becomes more data-driven, research will inform business’s decision-making. If you ever need a tool to juice up your headline, our writers use the Headline Analyzer Tool from the Advanced Marketing Institute. Ideally, you want to shoot for scores over 30% – after all, a little emotional charge goes a long way towards selling your product.
Content Optimization tricks
Your content must have the appropriate keyword density to rank. Ideally, you want your focus keywords to appear up from 0.5% of the time in your copy up to 2% of the time. We advise that you don’t go over 2% because search engines deem that keyword stuffing and will penalize your content accordingly.
Many early SEO practices are now unethical, black hat SEO. You can’t just jam the focus keyword into the content as many times as possible hoping you’ll rank. It’s a lot more nuanced than that. You have to include the focus keyword into your content naturally.
You need to have a nuanced approach in the way that you incorporate your focus keyword into your content. First of all, the number one thing is not to just please the search algorithm, the search algorithm doesn’t have a bank account. The customer does. So let’s never forget that consumer-centric copy is at the core of all SEO copywriting.
So, going back to the focus keyword, stay away from keyword stuffing! It will cripple your content’s performance. Also, you want your focus keyword to appear in your page title, your meta description and your images’ alt text. A focus keyword is front and center in all your content.
If your websites, blog posts have content that can play off one another, you’re better off like putting hyperlinks that link those content pieces together.
- If you read a lot of ESPN, The Economist, Forbes, a lot of the time you will see that within an article or a piece of content, there’s a link to another piece of content from the same website. Why do they do this? This is done to lengthen site visit time. If a site has an average session time of three minutes, it’s a huge boost for your rankings.
That is a very long time to hold someone’s attention. If you’re holding someone’s attention, what is the benefit that you are providing? You’re giving people good content! Search engine algorithms reward longer engagement periods. For this reason, you always want to link one thing to the other.
That way you’re able to have this intricate web of content that keeps your visitor engaged and boom, all of a sudden, you’re raising your domain and page authority, Then, your ranking goes up and your visibility goes up. All of a sudden you’re getting conversions off the strength of being on the first page of the search engine results.
- SEO Plugins: I used to use the Yoast SEO plugin to optimize my content pieces. If you’re a small business owner, you want as many Nigerians as possible to engage with your product. And so you will have to speak to a broader band of Nigerians.
You can’t put content with several words over four syllables, long and 15 sentences, 15, 20 words in a sentence. That’ll hurt your content’s comprehension score. All of a sudden, boom, you have this marvelous piece of literature, but it doesn’t do much to drive conversions.
You need 300 words minimum to give your content a chance at ranking. Long-Form content tends to rank better than short form content, but that’s not always necessarily the case. If you are giving good value and great information that keeps your consumer happy and engaged, your ranking will go up. Regardless the images on this page contain all the tags with the focus keyword.
Like I said, the focus keyword is front and center in everything that you do. You have to make sure it’s in the title tag, the header, the alt text and meta-description. The focus keyword has to be there. It’s also key to have your focus keyword in the URL.
You should also make sure your keyword appears in the first hundred words of your content. It doesn’t have to be in the first sentence, but it has to be in the first paragraph. You need to make sure that you’re tying everything back together.
Now we’re down to the action phase. And so let’s start talking about real life things. What is it the consumer can do to make sure that I drive the conversion? It’s easy. Urgency. Urgency is the number one thing in the action. You must always deliver the call to action with urgency. And the best way to create urgency is to place a limitation on your offer.
If working with WSI to improve your SEO copywriting sounds appealing, click this link to get in contact with us now.